Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Are you ready?

What a crazy couple of weeks it has been here on the farm. It all started when I decided to clean the carpets downstairs, which required us to empty all the furniture out of the computer room. We had to drag everything into the kitchen so we could get to the carpets in the computer room. Yes, I did actually mean the plural, as in "carpets". There are two carpets stacked on top of each other in there. The house is a rental, so we don't question why things are the way they are, we just ignore them and go on. Once we cleaned the top carpet, we had to carry it upstairs to a bedroom.Then we had to clean the bottom carpet and the rest of the house. Believe me this was a several day project.

Once the carpets were dry, and I could reassemble the computer room, we discovered there was something wrong with the internet, so I couldn't get back to blogland. Boy was I unhappy and grouchy!


When we finally got that fixed, we realized that fall had ended and winter had arrived. This wouldn't have been so startling except for the fact that fall had only been here for a few weeks to begin with. It is already COLD out on the prairie. Winter has arrived about a month and a half earlier than we expected. We got our first frost recently, and it was so heavy it looked like snow. Then a couple of days ago, it began to sleet. I have been working frantically trying to get the house winterized. A more than century old house with little insulation out on the windswept prairie can get colder than you can even imagine during the winter. We learned this the hard way last year. Now I am busy covering over windows and closing up the top floor as we prepare to live in the just the bottom floor of our house. I am hoping to avoid those GIGANTIC energy bills we had last year.

The big dilemma right now is ..... snow blower versus snow blade. The snow here was a huge shock to us last year. We were totally unprepared for the pounding we took from the weather.

Here is what I wrote about it earlier this year:

Winter is hard on the prairie. This was our first winter this far north so we had no idea what to expect. It turned out to be the worst winter here in 30 years! The first snow fell on November 30th. It basically never left for many months. It almost melted a few days later, but it never completely vanished. Then the really nasty part of winter arrived. The temperatures fell and the snow storms began appearing every 2 to 3 days. Our driveway became impassable before Christmas. Going anywhere required me to dig our car out of a snowbank, then shovel a path to the cornfield. Next I had to shovel a path out of the cornfield back to the driveway to actually reach the road. Finally we had to just leave our cars at the end of the driveway and walk the quarter mile to the house through the drifted snow carrying our groceries and other purchases. Eventually that didn't work because our cars wouldn't even start when the temperature fell to (-25) and the windchill was (-40)!


Now you can see why I have been nearly frantic about winter arriving a month and a half early! I am determined to not be trapped and frozen all winter long again, and I don't want to be shoveling snow at 2o degrees below again either. So we are trying to decide if it is best to buy a snow blower that you push or a snow blade that you put on your lawn mower. Part of our dilemma is the fact that we don't want to spend too much money for something that we may only use for one season. My husband's employer is so unpredictable that by next winter we could be living somewhere deep in the heart of Texas, hence an expensive snow blower would just be a waste of money and something else taking up space in the garage.

If you have ever purchased or used a snow blower or a snow blade, I could use your help. Please give me your opinion on which you think works best and any particular brands that work well or should be avoided. Thanks. Hopefully I will be done covering windows and moving to the warmer part of the house soon, so I can return to blogland. In the meantime, blessings to you and I hope you are staying warm wherever you are.

8 comments:

  1. I hear ya about the winter weather! It can be very hard dealing with. We used to have a snowblower, but it got to be old and quit working. We (or I should say dh) shovels by hand. But we live in town, and you are in need of something more heavy duty. I know it's a hard decision to make when you might not need it more than one or two seasons. Is there a place that sells used? That would be a good option.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. BRRRRR! Shivering at the thought of it! Hope you get sorted ASAP.
    Best wishes
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe someone in your area could suggest the best option. I will be thinking of you when it is cold and yucky here. I will try not to complain as others have it far worse. Good luck.
    ~Melissa~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I asked my hubby which one is best and he said it depends on what kind of a lawn mower you have. We have a big snowblower and it does the job. Brrrrr...I don't even like to think about it. Last winter was the worst.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine it getting that cold! I hope to never be anywhere when it gets that cold! We don't have a snow blower or even a snow shovel because our driveway is flat and not that far from the road. We do have a tractor with a bucket that we could use if the snow were to get that bad. I think that if you got a snow blower you would be able to sale it pretty easy since it snows a lot where you are currently living.

    It is supposed to get in the 20's this weekend here in West Virginia. I don't think I've ever turned on the heat this early. I had to turn it on over a week ago! Next will be the gas logs in our fireplace. Once my husband gets all of the dust out I will be turning it on! Brrrrr! We don't have to worry about our heating bill as we have free gas! Praise the Lord!

    Stay warm!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you like my little poultry family. I don't know how many adventures they'll have as they're quite a bit bigger than the target birds that had such marvalous escapdes last spring!LOL!

    I hope you can find a good deal on whatever you do buy. If you move maybe you could sell it first. I'll never complain about the cold again. If you catch me doing it please remind me at least I don't have to carry groceries 1/4 mile in the snow!

    Warm hugs,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not ready for winter either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure have been wondering where Fall went to. It is very cold here in Ohio and we are expecting some wet snow over night. Winter is ok, but I'm not ready for it yet!!
    ~Cindy~

    ReplyDelete