Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Secret door


Any ideas where this funny little door might lead?


I live in a rambling old farm house out on the prairie. It looks a great deal like the Ertl house (if your kids ever played with farm toys, you know what I am referring to). The house is over 100 years old. Thankfully, it does have some modern conveniences, like running water and indoor toilets, 2 actually. We do not have a/c, but we are far enough north that we rarely need it.


The house has two stories with tiny, steep steps leading upstairs and a very low ceiling overhang on the stairs. I have hit my head repeatedly. Obviously this home was built when people were shorter and their feet smaller.


The laundry room is located in a classic, scary, old house basement which comes complete with spooky cobwebs and an occasional toad. There is one unusual thing down there though, a coal room. That is what the mystery door leads to. The funny little door in the photo is located on the outside of the house. When you open it up, you discover a shoot inside which leads to the coal room in the basement. There is actually still a pile of coal in the room.


Thankfully, the house isn't heated with coal anymore. Last winter we purchased a multi-fuel pellet stove. It is much more environmentally friendly than heating with coal.


But I still think the old coal shoot door is darling. If I wasn't moving, I would probably plant a wildflower garden next to it, with some cute primitives and vintage junktiques. In my mind I can just see how cute it could be. Can't you!


Blessings to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment