Sunday, June 14, 2009

Clothes on the line


I was disappointed when we moved to the prairie and our farmhouse didn't come with a clothesline. The farmhouse we had moved from in the Ozarks did have one. You should have seen the smile on my face when I discovered it. That clothesline brought back so many happy memories.

One of my favorite things about summer has always been the clothesline. I remember being a little girl and playing in the laundry hanging on the line. We actually had two clotheslines running side by side. On days when the wind was calm I would run down the center of the two trying not to touch anything. It was sort of a modified obstacle course. On days when the wind was blowing, I would dream that the sheets and things were flags of imaginary countries I would visit someday. I also remember scanning the horizon for clouds, then racing to get the laundry down before the rain began to pour down on us. Everything was a game to me then.

Still today I love the way sheets dried on the line smell. They carry that sweet scent of summer breezes and bright sunshine. When I hold them to my face, I swear I can hear the birds singing. I believe I may even sleep better when they are on the bed. It is the simple things in life which often bring the most joy. I don't care how many bedrooms our bathrooms our next home has, but I sure do hope it has an old fashioned clothesline.


Blessings to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment